St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Library Fund-Inc. (ABN 86 667 505 686)
The Library Fund was established in 2001 to provide education programs, publications and religious books and artifacts. It gained tax deductible registration soon afterwards and has DGR status (see abr.business.gov.au)
The Library includes a collection of mainly Jewish religious books and objects but also books about Jewish history, culture, music and literature, education, adult fiction and non fiction as well as children’s books on Jewish themes, both fiction and non-fiction. The library includes educational materials for the teaching of Hebrew, Jewish history, Jewish culture and religion and music as well as objects and art works of religious significance.
The Library has partnered and shares its catalogue with the Lamm Jewish Family Library (formerly Makor) and thus other community affiliated Libraries. The catalogue can be searched online here.
Activities of the Library include:
- The Library houses an impressive and diverse collection of books and memorabilia.
- The Library is home to one of Australia’s largest collection of Jewish music including vinyl LP’s of chazzanut and ‘Jewish’ related music.
- Education programs include the weekly Bat Mitzvah and Bar Mitzvah programmes which are run during the school year.
- Further education programs are supported when financially possible as they occur.
- The weekly Shabbat Shalom published both in print edition and online. Boasting a circulation exceeding 1100 in its electronic format, the newsletter is extremely popular both with our own membership AND the wider Jewish community.
- The Yom Kippur memorial booklet is a Library Fund Publication for which Principal Sponsors are sought each year to honour the memory of a loved one.
For further information, contact Chairman of the Library Fund Trustees, Dr David Kolieb (0417 503 964)
The Library Fund trustees are:
Chairman: Dr David Kolieb
Treasurer: Mr Jeff Degen
- Rabbi Yaakov Glasman
- Mr Julian Black
- Mr Selwyn Greenberg
- Mr Philip Levy
- Mr Frank Tisher
The St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Library Fund finances our Library and its educational program to:
- purchase new books and other materials;
- maintain a catalogue of our books which is linked to the Makor Jewish Library network;
- lend books to our members and the general public;
- maintain the library rooms and additional reading/lecture rooms;
- provide lectures and educational programs associated with our collection to adults and children; and
- print publications educating out members and the general public about our books and our educational program.
Tax deductible donations to the St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Library Fund can be made via the Shule’s pay online portal but should be marked with the letters “LF” at the start of a customer code or full name in the Customer Code field.
Members of the public may borrow from the library upon production of appropriate identification.
Two (2) books may be borrowed at any one time Books may be borrowed for a period of four (4) weeks.
No reference books may be removed from the library
The Library is open for borrowing at these times:
Mondays-Thursdays 10.00am to 4.00pm
Fridays 10.00am to 11.30am
Lost or damaged books must be paid for at replacement value.
The Library Fund also hosts the annual Henry Shaw Oration
Past orators include
|2016||Graham Segal OAM: Gett refusal in civil law|
|2015||Rabbi Elisha Greenbaum: Fertility, ART and Judaism – the halachic perspective on Assisted Reproductive Technology|
|2014||Dvir Abramovich : Old poisons in new bottles: The new anti-Semitism and the war against Israel?|
|2013||Emeritus Professor Arie Freiberg AM : The Jill Meagher Case: Was Justice Served?|
|2012||Avgail Hasofer : From Alabama to Judaism|
|2011||Rabbi James Kennard : How Diaspora Jewry should view Israel|
|2010||Sheiny New: Happily Ever After in the Twenty-first Century|
|2009||Dr Danny Lamm : Topic?|
|2008||Rabbi James Kennard : Why do we need Jewish day schools?|
|2007||Roy Steinman : The Meaning of Teshuvah in Our Time|
|2006||Norman Rosenbaum : Jewish Rights Are Rights! And don’t you forget it!|
|2005||Rabbi Raymond Apple AO RFD : Carlebach Kumzits|
|2004||Timmy Rubin : Carlebach Kumzits|
|2003||Rabbi Aryeh Zvi Goldman : Carlebach Kumzits|
|Honourable Justice Marcus Einfeld AO QC:|
|2002||Consul General Ben-Matityahu : Does Israel have anything to apologise for regarding its defense against terrorism|
|2000||Rabbi Philip Heilbrunn, Prof Louis Waller & Dr Les Sheffield : Improving on Nature: Halachic, Legal, Ethical and Moral issues in Human Reproduction|
|1999||Rabbi Dr. Daniel Sinclair : Judiasm & Democracy in Israeli Law|
|1997||Ayelet Rosen, Jonathan Kolieb, Rabbi Ralph Genende, Andrew Strum, Prof Louis Waller : The Critical Challenges of Jewish Life: are we doing enough or Have we mortgaged the future for the coming generations|
|1996||Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz : Can Judaism survive modernity?|